companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, July 25, 2016

Peanut Butter Cup Pops -the Most Amazing Summer Treat!


These are the best popsicles I have ever made. Hands down.

I happen to love chocolate and peanut butter combined, so that was a no brainer. These are super easy to make. The hard part will be waiting for them to freeze--especially if you licked the bowl like I did.

They are not icy hard either; even after a night in the freezer. The peanut butter keeps them on the creamy side. So delish. My son came for dinner tonight and gave them a big thumbs up.

A couple of notes for the purists. This recipe does take a couple of shortcuts that some might consider to not completely match a whole food approach. I did depart from my usual choice of sweeteners. I added a packet of Diet Swiss Miss cocoa for the chocolate flavoring. (now labeled "Light") Chocolate is tricky to sweeten, so I often use a combination of sweeteners. I took a shortcut by using hot cocoa mix that has Sucralose and Ace-K. It is just one packet for 4 servings, and I can live with that. You do what is best for you. You may want to experiment with some straight cocoa powder and some extra sweetener. I haven't tried that yet. When I do, I will let you know.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pops

1 1/2 cups unsweetened  cashew or almond milk, plain or vanilla
4 tsp erythritol/ stevia blend
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (Smuckers is my brand)
1 envelope Swiss Miss Light cocoa mix
Optional:
1/4 cup cashew or almond milk
2 tbsp sugarfree chocolate syrup

Add sweetener to cashew or almond milk. Spoon peanut butter into  a medium bowl. Gradually mix half of the cashew milk into the peanut butter. Add the envelope of cocoa mix and stir until no lumps remain. Slowly add the remaining cashew milk. Pour this mixture into 4 popsicle molds and freeze 4 hours or overnight.  Optional: Combine 1/4 cup cashew or almond milk with 2 tbsp sugarfree chocolate syrup. Add to the top before inserting sticks.   

Serves 4 large pops:   232 calories   4 net g carb


If you go with the cocoa mix, be sure not to choose the sugarfree label. That has more carbs and calories. I know, the world is just not fair, right? The optional chocolate layer is what I needed to fill up my cups. Depending on size, you may not need the chocolate layer. While interesting, it is not as good as the peanut butter portion, so you won't be missing out if you leave it off.



 Now that all the possible issues have been dealt with, back to the raving. So yummy. Such a treat. Far better than a cheat with a real fudgesicle or peanut butter shake from Sonic.

We are treating ourselves a lot lately. The next Diner News will feature all sorts of frozen foods and drinks. Perfect for August's heat. Be watching!



Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends


 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here 

4 comments:

Cindy's Beauty Review said...

In you instructions you say "If you go with the cocoa mix, be sure not to choose the sugar-free label" but in the ingredients list you show sugar-free cocoa mix. I'm confused.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering the same thing!

Lisa Marshall said...

Thanks for pointing that out. It is the name game! Sugarfree has more carbs and calories. My box says diet, but now they call it light. I forgot to change it when I copied the recipe over. Good catch. The diet/light is sugarfree as well, and I had been on that train of thought.

Retta said...

It's so hot here right now, this newsletter came at the perfect time! Can't wait to try some of these. Thanks so much!