companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Skillet Brownie Dessert


I love desserts to share. We almost never order desserts when we dine out. Obviously, as low carbers, that would be a huge diet fail. But I do love the idea of one dessert with two spoons. Romantic with your special someone. Just as fun with a BFF. Mini skillet desserts have been popular for a while now, but I had never tried one. Until now.The upcoming May issue of the Diner News will feature skillet meals. Granted, most of them are quick and delicious main meals, but this one. So special. I had to borrow the little 6 inch skillet from my son and daughter-in-law. Now I am thinking I may need one too. John and I had a great time eating this delightful chocolate treat. We did not go overboard, and made it last two desserts. I have to tell ya, it was soooo much better warm from the oven. Still good cold, but warm, with the whipped cream melting in. Oh yeah. Hubster wanted ice cream. I told him I was not sure I loved him enough to make home made ice cream too. I do, of course, but I can't spoil him that much. It would raise the bar too high. And I do all that I do with the Diner system to not spend all my time in the kitchen. Cream is fine, my little sugarfree honeybun. 



If you don't have a cute little cast iron skillet, borrow one like I did. Or, just bake this up in a pan. It will still be good, I promise. But oh so adorable in a little skillet. This recipe will work in a 5 inch skillet, 6 inch or 6 1/2 inch. You could also use two 3 1/2 inch cuties. See my Amazon store to purchase them. I like the Lodge brand skillets.





Skillet Brownie

5 tbsp Master Baking Mix  #2 ( #1 will work as well)
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp erythritol stevia blend equal to sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp refined coconut oil
1/4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp vanilla stevia
1 egg

In a medium bowl, combine baking mix, cocoa, sweetener, baking powder and salt. In a small microwavable bowl or saucepan, melt coconut oil and chocolate. Stir in vanilla and stevia. Add the wet ingredients to the dry bowl. Add egg and stir to combine. Butter or oil a 6 inch cast iron skillet. Spoon batter into the skillet, smoothing the top. Bake 15 minutes at 325 degrees. Top with cream or whipped cream and a drizzle of sugarfree chocolate syrup. Grab two spoons and share with a friend.  4 servings is plenty also!

2 large servings:  (without garnishes)  283 calories   3 net g carb



I did not include the whipped cream or chocolate syrup in the nutrition stats. I used very little syrup, so not too much damage done. It would be great without it, but I thought it made the photo nicer. Be sure not to overbake. I did just a tad. My brain seems totally capable of ignoring the alarm on my stove. Somehow I never hear it go off. Underbaking just a tad with leave a gooey center that is what lots of folk adore. I like things well done generally. My friends make fun of me for that one. All good, just set two alarms from now on. I know I will make this one again.


My sweet daughter in law who loaned me this skillet is in the hospital tonight. Please send up some prayers for her. My son also, who is a very worried husband at this point. It is touching to see what a fine young man he is, and what a protector of his bride he has become. Kristen should be released tomorrow, but the medical mystery is not quite solved. We are praying wisdom for the doctors and peace for all. I will spend the next few days cooking up a storm to get the newsletter out. I would rather be a state away taking care of her. She is such an independent young lady; she doesn't want anyone fussing over her. So here I sit, praying over my kids just as I did when they were babies. Of course, chocolate helps too.


If you don't have my Master Baking Mix recipe, here is the #2 version, a little heartier and less expensive than #1.

Master Baking Mix #2

1 1/2 cup coconut flour
1 1/4 cup oat fiber
3/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup whey protein powder
1/2 cup flaxmeal
1/4 cup ground psyllium husk (be sure to grind this yourself, don't rely on the flaked as it comes in the can)
2 tbsp glucomannan
2 tbsp beef gelatin

Combine all ingredients in an air tight container.

18   - 1/4 cup servings  116 calories 2 net g carbs


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here


6 comments:

Judith said...

Hi Lisa! We cannot tolerate flax and sorry if this has been addressed, but is there a sub for the flax? Thanks for the recipes - I'm also a subscriber and have enjoyed the monthly recipes as well as the themes and formats. Thank you! Judy

Rosh said...

Delicious looking recipe can't wait to try it. Thank you for creating and sharing this! Prayers for your daughter in law. Hope all is well, and wishing her a speedy recovery.

Suse B said...

Just made this and it was AMAZING!! Unbelievably delicious and will be added to the list of weekend dessert specials! Thank you so much. I had to search about for the master bake mix ingredients but now I have a batch that will last for a while and once I'd sorted that the rest was super easy and super quick! Highly recommend to everyone!

Blogger said...

3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from large medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

Unknown said...

I don't have a small cast iron skillet like that, can I just put it in a regular baking pan or even mini muffin tin?

Lisa Marshall said...

Debbie, sure, just watch because the baking time might be different.