companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Turkey Sausage Meatza


My family loves pizza. It is tough to choose toppings. I like onions, peppers and mushrooms. Boys don't like the onions. Hubby doesn't like the mushrooms. We all agree on pepperoni and sausage. Except maybe the daughter-in-law. She just doesn't want greasy. This one really is not, just delicious.

Sausage. That is the "crust" here. Yes, the concept of the "Meatza" has been around a while. I have no idea the genius that came up with this one. For my Man Food edition of the Diner News last April, I featured this version. I used turkey sausage as the base so it was not swimming in fat.  Great flavor, especially when combined with the pepperoni, cheese, peppers, onions, etc. Served this to my husband, so I left off the mushrooms. Such is the sacrifice a wife makes.

This sure beats any pizza cravings, and fills you up too. Add a salad and you are good to go.

 Turkey Sausage Meatza

1 lb turkey sausage
1/3 cup low sugar spaghetti sauce
1/2 chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
24 slices pepperoni

Line a pizza pan with parchment paper. Press turkey sausage into the pan, forming a crust. Bake at 400 for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and drain liquid from pan. Return to oven for another 5 minutes. Remove and drain juices again. Top with spaghetti sauce, pepper and onion. Sprinkle cheese over all and top with pepperoni. Bake 10-15 minutes.

Serves 4: 
341 calories 
5 g carbs




Turkey does not make a lot of scary grease on the baking sheet, but it does make a fair amount of juices. I drain those off a couple of times so it browns rather than steams in its own juices. This is yummy stuff and much easier than some low carb crusts I have tried. I even like it as leftovers. It was great in my lunch the next week.

Now that the school is closed, I may not be taking my lunch any longer. I do have an opportunity to share my menu planning and recipe development skills with a Diabetes education program, so I will still be busy. I am sure you will hear more about that as we get rolling. And you might have noticed that I have more time to be sharing at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page. Be sure to visit that often for more great recipes.


 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,   
  A Table for Two here.  

5 comments:

Kathy Natkin said...

Does this get crispy? I'm looking for an alternative pizza crust to try!

Lisa Marshall said...

No not crispy unless you burn it. We use a fork to eat.

Anonymous said...

Is this turkey breakfast sausage or turkey Italian sausage?

Lisa Marshall said...

I used bulk Italian, but any kind will do as long as the carbs are low.

Glitter said...

This worked like a dream. Love it, love it, love it.