companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Angel Fire Chicken Casserole


Some like it hot. My son Pearson told me about his recent attempt at eating a Ghost pepper chicken wing--a feat he will not likely try again. It makes an amusing story listening to the tale of his manly men friends crying while they ate then running for napkins and water...this is not that. No ghosts here, just angels. Angel Fire is a place in New Mexico, I understand. The state so famous for outstanding green chile peppers. Thank you New Mexico. This casserole is outstanding! It tastes a lot like green chile enchiladas. I was going for a green chile rice base, and that is good too. The sour cream flavor is perfect, either way. This is a rich dish and needs only a little green salad on the side.

It is a little complicated if you start from scratch, but easy peasy if you are using leftovers like I did. I already had caulirice in my freezer. It is so much easier to make a lot and then freeze it. That way, I don't need to clean up the food processor as often. I also had a big batch of Green Chile Chicken Shreds made up. That is a simple crockpot dish that is useful in so many ways. Got those? This goes together in a snap.I used Green Chile Chicken Shreds. That recipe is here.


 If not, I will give the long version of the recipe here. It is the best way to make a big batch to feed a bunch. My way, and it is a good Triple Play meal to make with Southwest Shredded Beef or Tequila Chicken from Table for Two.

Angel Fire Chicken Casserole

1 medium cauliflower, grated
1 tbsp mild oil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
2 four oz cans mild green chiles
1 1/2 cup sour cream
3 eggs
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, divided use
18 oz  Green Chile Chicken Shreds or any cooked, shredded chicken

After processing cauliflower in a food processor, saute it in oil until just tender. Sprinkle with onion powder and salt.  Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in both cans of green chile, the sour cream, the eggs and 1 cup of cheese. Pour this mixture into a 13 x 9" casserole dish. Cover the top with the shredded chicken. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top is brown and the egg is set in the center.

Serves 6:     483 calories    9 net carbs    28 g fat


This version was reduced to a small family serving-
the recipe will fill a larger dish.
So this casserole is not the prettiest, but it certainly tastes heavenly. Just right for the Angel Fire name.


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fat kills heat--tell your son to try again, but this time, have a stick of butter (or some other form of fat)at the ready. Drinks are useless, and only serve to fan the flames. You want to smother them like a firefighter--use FAT instead.

Lisa Marshall said...

Interesting!

Unknown said...

I made this last night for dinner & loved it. It was so creamy & filling. I used mild green chiles, but next time, I will probably use something with a little more kick -- I love spicy food! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I am diabetic and need to know actual carbs. I am impressed with your recipes and was wondering if you would consider listing actual carbs on your recipes. Thanks!

lekhafood said...

Thanks for posting such yummy and delicious dish. I have visited many websites i feel this is best among.
Showing this recipe in steps order with beautiful images makes me to cook immediately.I have tried it. I got the taste, If you want to try our recipe visit http://lekhafoods.com/speciality/chicken-recipes/casserole.aspx
After trying our recipe please provide your feedback with good response

barbie2be said...

I have a question about the Sour Cream for this recipe. Is it one and a half cups or is it one half cup?

Thanks! I can't wait to try this.

Lisa Marshall said...

1 and 1/2 cup sour cream

barbie2be said...

great, thanks! i'm making it this weekend!

Unknown said...

I would love to make this but I don't have a food processor. Any way to improvise?

Unknown said...

I would love to make this but I don't have a food processor. Any way to improvise?

Unknown said...

grate it on a cheese grater would work as well.

liza said...

nice post