companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Three Cheese Hashbrown Casserole


Don't let the name fool you. There are no potatoes here, but you just may think I'm lying. Rather than potato shreds, here we have grated rutabaga. This is so delicious. It really does take like a carby casserole. It keeps well too. You can freeze the leftovers or eat it several times a week like we did this time.

This is a recipe which will be in the upcoming April issue of the 24/7 Low Carb Diner News. This month, we are focusing on bacon, ham, sausage and all those pork products we love. This recipe just happens to also have bacon and sausage. It is a real family pleaser. Go ahead and double it if you want! Or triple it and turn it into a Multiply Meal.

 Three Cheese Hashbrown Casserole

6 slices bacon
1/4 lb bulk pork sausage
2 cups shredded rutabaga
4 eggs
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 cup ricotta cheese

Bake or pan fry bacon. Drain and crumble. Brown the sausage in a small skillet. While those are cooking, place shredded rutabaga in a microwavable bowl with 2 tbsp water. Cook on high power in the microwave for 2 minutes. Drain and cool.

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in the crumbled bacon, browned sausage, all the cheeses and the shredded rutabaga.

Coat an 8 inch square casserole dish with bacon grease. Pour in the casserole mixture and smooth the top with a spatula.

Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting into 6 servings.

Recipe can be doubled or tripled.

Serves 6   472 calories   6 net carbs


This casserole is great for anytime of day. In fact, it could have been featured in the March issue of the Diner News. That one has lots of recipes to replace potatoes. But this one does have that yummy bacon and sausage that makes everyone smile. You can still order the March issue. The April issue will come out on April 1st. If you want to order, just head over to the Diner page:  http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html




Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends


Order our books at: 


Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

27 comments:

Terry Turbak said...

I know you give net carbs, but I need a total carb content number. Can you include that please?

Anonymous said...

I have tied to use rutabagas but I could not peel them, it was like a rock. Is there a trick?

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta have a really sharp peeler. I get mine from Pampered Chef. The peeler you buy at the grocery store are junk. You can always peel using your preparing knife too.

Lisa Marshall said...

I just use my regular potato peeler and push away from me. No problem. Maybe you got an odd one.

Darlene said...

I couldn't find rutabagas in my grocery store, so I subbed daikon instead. It turned out delicious! This recipe would be great for brunch or a holiday breakfast. I plan to make it often.

Mimi said...

I can peel a rutabaga easily enough but how on earth do you shred it? Do you cook it partially first? They are so hard I'm envisioning cutting my hands if I use a grater and breaking blades if I use my blender. What do you do?

Lisa Marshall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Marshall said...

To shred my rutabagas, I just run chunks through my food processor. The ones I get are very much the firmness of a potato, so it is no problem.

Lynne said...

How many rutabagas do you need to get the 2 cups shredded?

Anonymous said...

Rutabaga's are easy to peel if you put them either in wax paper or put them in a plastic bag you get from grocery store and place in Microwave for at least 10-15 minutes on high. The peeling will come right off.

Anonymous said...

na

Unknown said...

One of the best dishes ever! I used chicken andouille in place of sausage. Never had rutabagas before and truthfully, we liked this better than hash browns!

Anonymous said...

What Is rutabagas? Never heard of it.

Unknown said...

Rutabaga is a root vegetable, similar to a turnip. Some people know them as 'swedes'.

Anonymous said...

How many grams of protein?

Anonymous said...

Very delicious! I wonder if some sautéed onions would be a nice addition?

Anonymous said...

Have you tried substituting cauliflower?

Unknown said...

Hi I just made this casserole, the store did not have the rutagags, so I bought turnips, only to discover that they are half the net carbs so doubled the turnips to 2 cups, shredded and microwaved 2 min with a little water, drained well and left the other ingrediants as they were. The best substitue for hashbrowns I have ever had.

3pekipups said...

Had anyone ever used radishes in place of potatoes? If so, would they work in this dish?

Nikki said...

I don't use a microwave, so I'm wondering if I want the rutabagas to be completely soft or partially cooked? Thanks!

Imaemoe@gmail.com said...

Could I sub cauliflower also?

Lisa Marshall said...

I have never tried subbing cauliflower or radishes because I love rutabagas so much, but I am thinking you could. It would need to be pre-steamed bit.

Just saw Nikki's question. Partially cook the rutabaga with steam if you don't microwave. Just a little to soften them up.

Anonymous said...

Been searching all over for a "hash brown" casserole. Can't wait to try this. Thank you for this fantastic idea!

Wendy Teacher said...

Has anyone tried freezing this? This seems like a wonderful make-ahead meal. Instead of a casserole, baked in muffin cups. I'm just not sure how rutabagas would freeze....

Unknown said...

Ok I know this is a couple years after the original post but have to say this recipe is amazing and even my non low carb eaters love it. Hadn't tried rutabega before, but with the cheeses and meats, it's just so tasty! Thank you! This will be in my regular line up.

Kingdom Writer said...

My husband loves Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole. We are eating low carb and that casserole is not a good fit for our current way of eating. Since I've been reading so much about using radishes instead of potatoes, I subbed them in this recipe. The radishes were quartered, then shredded in my mini-chopper. I followed the recipe as written with the exception of the meat, which I omitted, and the addition of 1/4 c. minced red onion, salt and pepper. The casserole would need some seasoning added since the sausage and bacon were omitted.

The radish version of this casserole is slightly chewier than the potato version but has a good flavor. The texture is good, too. I was concerned that with four eggs it would taste too eggy. The cheeses counter-balanced that nicely.

I will definitely make this again but will include the smoked meats next time.

Thanks for the recipe, Lisa!

Kingdom Writer said...

BTW - I entered the recipe with the radishes into Cron-o-meter. It only has 2.8 grams TOTAL carbs per serving, with .8 grams fiber per serving. The casserole was cut into nine pieces. It has 11.8g fat and 11g protein with 161 calories. Those are numbers I can live with!