companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, December 30, 2013

Chocolate Almond Cheesecake Truffles



Christmas may be gone, but New Year's parties are just around the corner. This is a sweet little cheesecake truffle that features one of my Christmas presents from the hubby. Cocoa Almonds. Yum. I love those... in moderation. While I have been known to spend a little extra to buy the hundred calorie packets, John got me the warehouse club version. Caution ahead! All too easy to eat them without thinking! I may need to portion them out for myself, then hide the packages in the freezer. Do you have as much trouble limiting nuts as I do?

With the new year ahead, I have decided to refocus my diet a bit. Let's not put on airs. I always seem to fall off the bandwagon during December, then get very serious in January. Not that I recommend it, but it does seem to be a recurring behavior for me. The last couple of years, I did a Whole 30 paleo style. I hate going too long without some cheese, though. It is my favorite food. This year, I am delving into the nutritional ketosis w.o.e.  I will be watching my fat to protein to carb ratios to be sure I stay in a state of ketosis. Those requirements will vary for everybody, but I am striving to be around 75 % fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs for each day's totals in January. In fact, the January Diner News is devoted to recipes and meal plans to fit the nutritional ketosis ratios. Of course, they will be good for any low carber, but especially  helpful for those wanting to up the fat, have moderate protein and very low carb. I hope it will make me feel better from the far too many cheats I had this holiday season. It would be a good way to get some nice keto meal plans if you want to give it a try too. Yah, I know this is not new science, and there is lots of great advice out there. Just not enough meal plans already done!

This recipe will fit nicely into that plan. Each truffle has 58 calories, 5 g fat, 2 g protein and 1 net carb. That is 81% fat with 10% protein and 10% carbs. I think the carb is actually a bit lower percentage because that is figuring on total carbs, not net. I haven't yet figured out how to make my new software analyze it on net carbs, but I am trying. I hate cooking being about math, but sometimes, we have to count to see what we are really eating. It is so easy to fool ourselves!

So forget the math, these truffle are wonderful regardless of your eating plan. They are easy to make and will be a hit for your New Year's Eve party. You don't have to use the cocoa roasted almonds--they do have a teeny bit of sugar in them. The recipe would be fine with plain roasted almonds and perhaps another teaspoon of cocoa powder.


Chocolate Almond Cheesecake Truffles

3 ounces Cocoa Almonds (Emerald or Planter's) (about 2/3 cup whole)
8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup Swerve powdered sweetener
Stevia equal to 10 tsp
1/4 tsp almond extract
3 tbsp blanched almond slivers (optional)

In a bullet blender, finely chop the almonds. Remove 2/3rds of the nuts from the blender and set aside. Pulse the remaining nuts a few more times to make a finer grind for the coating of the truffles.

In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese with the cocoa powder, sweetener, stevia and almond extract. Stir by hand or with and hand mixer. Stir in the nuts by hand. Let this mixture chill for 30 minutes. Using a small scoop, make 24 truffles. Put the remaining ground almonds on a plate and roll each truffle to coat. Place an almond sliver into each truffle if desired. Serve in mini muffin papers if desired.

Each truffle has 58 calories, 5 g fat, 2 g protein and 1 net carb. 





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question: Is the Stevia you used in powder form or liquid?

IvO said...

OMG that looks AMAZING! Can't wait to make it and try. Thanks! :)

Lisa Marshall said...

I used powdered stevia, but liquid equivalent would work just the same. If yours does not measure the same, just sweeten to taste.

LindaCC said...

Hi Lisa, wondering what software you are using to figure percentages?

Lisa Marshall said...

I am using Living Cookbook, although I have found their database inaccurate at times.

Unknown said...

What are cocoa almonds?

Lisa Marshall said...

Kari, see this link: http://www.emeraldnuts.com/product/cocoa-roast-almonds/

Unknown said...

How many truffles does your recipe make? I get 18-20 out of it.

Lisa Marshall said...

Mine is based on 24.