companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cozy Cranberry Sippers


OOh baby it's cold outside--at least at my house. I just can't get warm! All layered up and everything, but I am just chilled to the bone. Last night I made Punkin Chili, and that didn't do the trick. Today I resorted to a hot drink. This cranberry tea is so delicious and that warm cup did wonders for my hands. This is easy to put together. I just robbed a few fresh cranberries from the bag I intend to use for our Thanksgiving Cranberry Sauce Three Ways. (I always make three variations so we don't get tired of the same thing) I doubt we will miss those ten berries. I do plan on buying an additional bag to keep in the freezer this year. Cranberries disappear after the holiday season around here.

This tea is fruity sweet and spicy--all the great flavors of the holidays. I used a Christmas flavored herbal  tea, but any tea will work well, I think. If you use an orange flavored tea, you might be able to skip the addition of the kool-aid powder. Definitely worth some experimentation. Just don't miss the cloves. That's the flavor that really makes the drink special. If you don't have a spiced tea you might want to add a pinch of pumpkin pie spice when you add the teabag.


Cozy Cranberry Sippers ( for 2)

2 1/2 cups water
10 fresh cranberries
2 teabags, regular, spice or orange flavor
2 pinches unsweetened orange flavored drink mix
4 packets stevia or other sweetener (most packets equal 2 tsp sugar)
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Bring water and cranberries to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the tea bags and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes until cooled enough to transfer into a blender. Discard the tea bags and process until the berries are blended in. Pour the tea mixture through a strainer back into the sauce pan. Stir in the orange powder and sweetener. Heat to desired temperature. Adjust sweetness to taste.

I love that this recipe doesn't use any artificial sweeteners. I have an easy version of a hot cranberry drink too. Cranberry Hot Drink  is a favorite from years past, but this tea and real berry version  is a little different and is worth the trouble.

This is such a pretty drink. It will be a beautiful choice for sipping throughout the holidays. The 24/7 Diner News December edition will feature a whole page on warm winter drinks for enjoying when the weather is cold. If you have a favorite low carb fireside sipper, I would love to include some of your recipes in the Diner News.









2 comments:

Matthew @ My Little Eye Surgery said...

Fantastic!

ncredbird said...

Unsweetened orange flavored drink mix? Can I use Koolaid or True Orange?