companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, March 22, 2013

Eggies and the Nutrition Police

None of my guys eats hard boiled eggs. I will on occasion. When I saw the Eggies gadget at the Dollar Tree, I decided to try it.  I mean, it was a dollar. I saw tons of reviews online of people that hated it. I saw more who questioned why bother. I saw a couple who liked it.

True, I have more kitchen experience than the average person, but I had no problem with leaking eggs, no messy counter, no boilovers. Pretty straight forward process. It does not save cooking time, and even adds prep time. I does prevent the pain of peeling eggs. I will never be good at that.  I know, I know. Use old eggs. Put soda in the water. Bake them instead.  I still have problems getting the shell off smoothly. No lectures please.

While we are on that lecturing subject. Yes, I know this is cooking in plastic and that is not good. I won't be doing this often-- promise. I figure there are so many bad things out there that I can't avoid, that I am not going to be the super vigilant, hyper healthy mom/wife/person that makes everyone around feel unworthy and judged. I remember the day a fellow parent made me feel terrible because I didn't use the right peanut butter and because my back yard did not have mature trees.  Excuse me. I never want to be her and I feel feel the sting of her judgment. I never go around telling people how awful sugar is. Not even when I see diabetics suffering. I offer our story simply as it is.  It is possible.

I work at keeping us healthy, but certainly don't want to make enemies because we choose to use or avoid certain foods or products. I read an article recently about how the "Paleo Police" make so many people give up even trying to make healthy choices. I got some rather snarky comments because I used Tilapia this week.  Ouch. Sometimes it just seems like there is nothing that is safe to consume.Either it is bad to start with, genetically modified, sprayed with pesticides, fed corn, coated in wheat, cooked with smoke, cooked too long, hard to digest when raw, source of salmonella, cooked in the wrong skillet, a possible allergen, or something.  Aaargh!

 I sometimes make bad choices and I admit it. Life is to be lived and every once in a while I have a diet Dr. Pepper. Not too often.  I do the best I can to be a good steward of our health and our finances. The two don't always get along well. Honestly, shopping at Whole Foods is simply not possible for us, and we have always lived simply, so there is no place to cut back.  I'll just place my hope in the fact that the good Lord has my days numbered and the occasional egg boiled in plastic or fizzy soda will not upset his plan for me. We are seldom sick and I have much more energy than people half my age. The reason for the Diner Plan was to keep us stocked in healthy foods when our attention was focused on life. Hard to believe, but despite having a food blog and being a cookbook author, my life focus is not food. I love it, but there is so much more to life. Let's go enjoy it instead of hyper focusing on every bite that goes into our mouths (and that stands true as to the state of the mouths around us too!) So Eggie or traditional boil, tis the season to enjoy some eggs. Go for it. And oh yeah, I remember when those were bad for us too.

6 comments:

Retta said...

You know... I get this. Only, I had to learn it the hard way. When I started out about 4 yrs ago simply cutting out sugar and flour, I was so excited that I was like a wet puppy, going around jumping up on everyone and getting them all annoyed and muddy. :-O

It took me being on the receiving end of "food police" judgements to realize I was not helping anyone with that approach!

So yeah... balance, kindness, patience... all that good stuff. Now I try to encourage people wherever they are on the journey to wellness. If they ask me, I answer. But mostly I try to offer what works for "me", and encourage them to find the same for themselves.

We live and learn, yes?
I appreciate your approach.

And after cooking for almost half a century... I STILL haven't mastered the art of a consistently easy-to-peel hard boiled egg, LOL!

Lisa Marshall said...

Rettakat you are still my favorite! Such a wise woman and a good friend.

Unknown said...

Sounds perfect for Easter.

BrandiLynn said...

Snark is so unsettling, and probably mostly so because I remember a day when snark showed up because it rubbed up against my "rightness." Grace is outrageous and unrational and uncomfortable. People outside the lines of rules are UPSETTING THE QUO!! It comes with skin, does not it?

I only do not use tilapia anymore becuase I found barramundi, which is also a light fish but has nearly the same omega 3 profile as salmon!

Be sweet to you. I know you know that for every one defensive snark there are a jillion million high fives and murmurs of thankfulness that you continue to share.

*squeeze* Thank you.

MemoryKeeper said...

Can't wait to try the tilapia bites, and plan to use the idea for several recipes!

You're right about nutrition police. Like Rettakat, I find myself doing it some, then I remember where I used to be in this journey.

God bless you and remember we can't please everyone all the time. We can only do the best we can with what we have. <3

Bdbloger said...

Gary Sethi is breaking stereotypes. As the first South Asian Sardar Fitness trailblazer, he is taking the fitness and modelling world by storm. His goal is simple – inspire every South Asian to be healthy and fit, while showcasing South Asian Sardars in a positive light. Within that goal, Gary works to address physical, mental, emotional and spiritual elements of individual fitness programs. Gary Sethi is breaking stereotypes. As the first South Asian Sardar Fitness trailblazer, he is taking the fitness and modelling world by storm. His goal is simple – inspire every South Asian to be healthy and fit, while showcasing South Asian Sardars in a positive light. Within that goal, Gary works to address physical, mental, emotional and spiritual elements of individual fitness programs.Gary Sethi is breaking stereotypes. As the first South Asian Sardar Fitness trailblazer, he is taking the fitness and modelling world by storm. His goal is simple – inspire every South Asian to be healthy and fit, while showcasing South Asian Sardars in a positive light. Within that goal, Gary works to address physical, mental, emotional and spiritual elements of individual fitness programs.