companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Maple Glazed Delicata Rings

Woohoo. It is almost November. I can't help it. I love fall. I love October, but Halloween is not my favorite. Instead of making cute freaky food, my mind races ahead to Thanksgiving. Oh, yes. The number one food holiday of them all. I start planning early. Sure, we have all the standards that the boys require, but I always like to throw some new things in there too. This month for the Diner News, I did way too much experimenting. That may be why I didn't have too many blog posts. It takes a lot of time to come up with new recipes for the newsletter. I promise there are some jewels in there this time.

I will share one of the recipes from the Diner News today. You know I was experimenting with Delicata squash once I finally found my source. Who woulda thunk it would be at Walmart? Fries are great, but these sweet maple flavored rings are winners on all fronts. They are beautiful. The shape makes for an amazing presentation. They are tasty too. I love maple. My mom, who is not a huge fan of squash, tasted these and couldn't stop raving. They are easy to prepare, and stand up well to being made ahead and rewarmed. Win--Win! Here is a sampling from the November Diner News.



Maple Glazed Delicata Rings
You may choose to peel this squash, but the skin is soft enough, that it is not necessary.

1 Delicata squash
1/4 cup erythritol blend
1/4 tsp maple flavoring
3 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Cut the squash into rings, discarding the seeds and pulp. In a small bowl, combine the erythritol and maple flavoring. Stir well to blend the flavors.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put butter into a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Place the squash rings in the pan and toss with the butter. Sprinkle half the sweetener mixture over the squash rings. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn each ring over and coat with the remaining sweetener, salt and pepper.

Bake for 35 minutes, turning once at the 20 minute mark.
Each 3/4 cup serving of squash has about 6 net g carb



Delicious, simple and pretty. One of the things that makes me greet November with a smile.


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php


Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here.

2 comments:

Retta said...

I love pumpkin, and plan to make the mousse and the biscuits from the newsletter. Oh, and tomorrow, Spaghetti Squash with Pesto is on the menu! Yep, there were several "gems" in the newsletter. Thank you!

The Hand Lady said...

41 renciaCnJrtbalawciaI found the Delicata yesterday. I bought 2. I made the Maple Glazed Rings tonight. Ummmm so good. I never even heard of this squash before. The other one I'll make the fries.
Thanks for all your good information along with the good recipes. Linda