companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Among Friends Thursday -African Chicken Peanut Soup

Today we tried another recipe from the Low Carbing Among Friends Cookbook. This one is from Jennifer Eloff. Although she is best known for her baking and sweet treats, this soup is wonderful! Jennifer calls for diced chicken. I used shredded because that is what I had on hand. I doubt that makes a flavor difference, although Jennifer's version may be prettier. She has a talent for making all her recipes beautiful. I try, but mostly, I am happy to get them to the table. I hoped for a better photo. It was well after dark before I got dinner on the table, so low light photography is the best I can do today. Real world strikes again.

A few years ago, my friend NeeCee made an African Chicken crock pot meal which also had chicken and peanut butter. I remember really loving that when our kids were learning about Africa. This is much the same. The flavors are unique and very interesting--curry, tomato, peanuts. It all equals yum. NeeCee's family tried this recipe too, and reported to me that they all loved it. Much better than the canned goat milk we tried during our Africa studies! I added some extra cayenne to mine, because I had to go easy with the red pepper flakes called for in the recipe. My hubby...he is just not addicted to spicy like I am! Upping the heat is easy to do with just a sprinkle after everyone has their own bowl.

The cookbook is going into the 3rd printing. If you still want to order, just click on the photo of the book on the side bar. Or you can go through Amazon. It has all been so exciting as the book launched. Trying the new recipes is great too. So many experts contributing their favorites. Just knowing that this recipe comes all the way from Africa makes it all the better. I was hoping to see how well it freezes for some lunch box ideas, but we licked the pot clean tonight. Next time, I will certainly make a double batch. Thanks for  great recipe, Jennifer!

4 comments:

Kathy Hall said...

I got the cookbook as my one and only Christmas present and couldn't be happier. So far I've had the "Bread Pudding" made with eggplant and rhubarb. The Green Bean Casserole, the Lasagna with a layer of deli chicken breast slices which was amazing, and the Bacon, Cheddar, Jalapeno Bread. We have loved every recipe I've tried so far! Oh yeah the Lemon, Rosemary Olive Oil Cake was great too! Many thanks for this wonderful cookbook!!!

Laura said...

I'm so glad you are doing these recipes every Thursday. I bought the cookbook and the one thing I wish was that the recipes had pictures! So far, every recipe you have posted is one that I have bookmarked so I can test it out. Thanks!

Lisa Marshall said...

Laura,

Just about all my recipes do have photos here on my blog. Just do a search for the recipe and usually--not always for some reason--but generally it will take you there. I know. I am very visual too, but the costs of our book with so many recipes and so many photos would be outrageous. There are also quite a few photos from the book on the order page.

Ancient Egypt Pyramids said...

Another Smart post from you Admin :)