companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, November 18, 2011

Bacon Avocado Grilled Cheese Sliders on Coconut 2 Minute Bread

Wow are these good! Of course, it would be difficult for anything made with bacon, cheese and avocado to taste bad, now wouldn't it?

Now, my baby boy does not partake of the green stuff in this case, so all the worse for him. The avocado gives this slider a sensational creaminess to counter the crispy bread. Really, the bread does crisp! And it does not taste like coconut--at least with all the bacon and cheese!

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I borrowed the slider bread idea from my friend Ginny, who posted it on her blog, Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen. Ginny is a great cook, and just happens to be a contributor to the Among Friends Cookbook. Be watching for more from her in the future. (The dessert she posted this week looks incredibly yummy, for instance) Go try her version too. But since I did have to make a couple of changes for my family, I will add my version used to make these sliders. They really are super fast and easy to put together. Ginny uses Parmesan cheese, but I ran out. In one batch, I used Asiago. In the other, I simple grated some cheddar. Both turned out fine, but the texture of the Asiago was a little better. The "wetter" cheddar left some rather English muffin sized holes in the bread. Not bad, just a little different. I also left out the xanthan gum because it is off limits for my SCD boy. Ginny says that adds to the texture, but is optional. I don't have any granular Splenda, so I added a drop of stevia. Good that this recipe is so forgiving. That is why I am thankful that Ginny did so many experiments--and is willing to share.

Ginny's 2 Minute Coconut Flour Bread with Diner Adaptations

1  Tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg
2 Tablespoons coconut milk
1 tsp olive oil

Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Make a well in the center. Add the egg, coconut milk and oil. Stir well with a fork. Let rest for a couple of minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the liquid. Spray the inside of a straight sided mug with cooking spray. Spoon half the batter into the mug. Tap it on the counter to remove air bubbles. Cook in the microwave for 65 seconds. If the center is steaming, but firm to the touch,  run a knife around the edge and remove the bread, allowing it to cool on the counter. To make a slider bun, slice the bread in half. Repeat all these steps with the remaining batter.

I think the bread is best when crisped in the toaster. I placed our slider halves in the toaster oven set on medium brown. They would be great eaten as is....but I wanted to make grilled cheese sliders tonight. Here is how I did that.

While the breads were baking, I had the bacon frying. While the breads were toasting, I sliced the cheese and melted butter in the skillet. I added 4 slider halves at a time to the skillet. These turned out beautifully. The combination of toasting and buttery grilling gave them a fantastic crispy texture. The only problem was with my toaster oven. Because I toasted in back to back cycles, the second batch got a little darker than I expected. Not wanting to burn them, I had to give them less time in the skillet. The cheese did not get quite as melted, but still, they tasted great.

Once the cheese was melting on the slider breads, I added the hot bacon. Then the avocado slices. I transferred these to the plate and assembled the slider halves there. My dog Tinker was really hoping I would lose a few pieces of bacon in the transfer, but he only got a little crumble, poor thing.

That is it. Pretty darn easy. It would be a little time consuming for a large crowd, since you have to make one batch of bread at a time, but for the two of us who are home tonight, it was perfect! Thanks, Ginny!

17 comments:

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Yummy, Lisa - looks simply yummy!

Retta said...

I found that glucomannan acts very similar to the xanthan... don't know if your boy can have that though.
Thanks for another "toast" to try. I just got my order from Netrition, and was eager for something to put my low carb grape jelly on, LOL!

Ginny said...

Sounds so yummy Lisa!! I'll have to give the asiago cheese a try in there too. Thanks for using my recipe and creating such a yummy sandwich with it. :) Can't go wrong with those sandwich ingredients!

Anonymous said...

Ok I thought your last post was amazing - but this one now moves to the top of the list! I will be looking for coconut flour at the store today. Thanks!!!

Lisa Marshall said...

Loretta,

So far my efforts with glucomannan have been underwhelming, but I have a lifetime supply. I will check to see if he can have that. Good thought.

Kay said...

When I saw your comment left on my blog I really felt like I was visited by a celebrity:) I love your blog!!! The convenience of the slider bread was what really attracted me. I will try it again too. Tonight I did a flourless chocolate cake in the microwave. I love the "quick" factor.
Thank you:)

Lisa Marshall said...

Kay,

That is too funny! A celebrity--if you only knew how real we are over here.

Instant breads are appealing. They can't replace the oven baked variety for sure, but I think this version beats to older flax recipe. My advice is to just keep tinkering with them with the ingredients you like best and with your preferred container and microwave. Working with coconut flour is an art, not a science for sure!

Lisa

BeadedbyMeesh said...

i love your site! Some ideas you come up with are amazing and I thank you for that.

I have to try this bread. What do you consider a "straight sided mug"??

Thanks for all you do.

Anonymous said...

can i make this with almond meal flour?

Laura said...

i made these today and the consistency was perfect! however, it was incredibly bitter to the taste. Did I do something wrong?

Lisa Marshall said...

Laura,

I see the problem, I have to use baking soda for my SCD boy, and we didn't notice any bitterness, but Ginny used baking powder, so that may be the difference. Try it with the powder instead and that will do the trick. We are accustomed to the soda flavor I think. I will change the recipe in the post for everyone else. Thanks for the heads up!

Laura said...

Thank you! It's perfect :)

Ancient Egypt Pyramids said...

Another Smart post from you Admin :)

Lisa said...

A friend of mine came over and we made these last night. I can't believe how good they were. They are biscuit like too, I am going to make some low carb gravy and have that one day. But man I love avocado and bacon...MMM! Thanks! And thanks to Ginny! :D

Danielle said...

Is it alright to replace the coconut milk with almond milk?

thanks, love your blog!

Unknown said...

Can you use almond flour instead of the coconut flour?

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!