companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Berry Cobbler

Thank you Father for a break to our heatwave! It has been glorious the last few days here. I actually turned on the oven for the first time in a month. Not that my kitchen is back together. It is not. But I am making do on a small scale. We are getting rather accustomed to drooping plastic ceilings, concrete floors and old bedspreads over sheet rock free walls. Good news is, the check should be in the mail today. They are granting us about $20,000 in repairs. I am worried that is not enough--especially since our fence estimates alone are around $5000. We are DIY challenged, so I don't know how many short cuts we can take. The whole process with insurance is so confusing. I can't wait to get my house back in order.

Baking, even though it was just one little dish, was comforting. I really wasn't planning to make a cobbler, so this just kinda happened. My wonderful, talented and creative middle boy decided to come home from college over Labor Day for his birthday. My older son's girlfriend, a student at the same school, bribed him with the offer of a birthday cake if he would ride back with her. Now this was a pretty big sacrifice for the boy seeing that this was his 21st birthday--one you usually don't want to spend with your mom. But he is not your typical guy. No one would ever call him a wild party animal. So he chose to spend his special day with his family. Collective 'Awww' inserted here.

Kristen did make him a cake--well a pan of brownies. She was disappointed I didn't have any birthday candles. Too many years since the party era for us I guess. They family gobbled them up so fast! They were supposed to last for the day with Nana on Monday, but they didn't. We were left without a dessert for the family get together. Since Pearson is my insulin resistant son, I sure didn't want to put another dessert full of sugar and white flour in front of him. So, I made a low carb cobbler that we all could eat. Everyone liked it, low carb or not. There ya go! The texture is not quite the same as a traditional cobbler, but if you are a fan of coconut flour baked goods, this will delight you.

Feel free to play around with the sweeteners of choice. I used what was open and close at hand. Add more berries if you please, I used the end of my bag and didn't bother to measure them out. The amount or type of berries is not that important.

Brown "Sugar" Berry Cobbler
Berry base:
2-3 cups frozen berry blend or blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
1/2 cup Ideal sweetener (brown sugar blend optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon glucomannan  powder (xanthan gum will work too)
Batter:
1/2 cup melted butter
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup Ideal Sweetener (brown)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder


In a sprayed baking dish, combine fruit, sweetener, spices and thickener.
In another bowl, combine melted butter, eggs, vanilla and sweetener. To this, quickly stir in coconut flour and baking powder. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes. Spoon over the fruits. Bake at 375 until the top is golden, about 20 minutes.


If you look at the photo and think that I must have left mine in a little too long, I did. It is tricky to share my tiny, storm damaged kitchen with my future daughter in law. She is not a low carber, and makes her own carbivore breakfasts when she visits. To each his own, but I love that she is willing to get in there and make her own rather than expecting us to eat all that sugary stuff. Maybe we will win her over in time. So our cobbler got a little brown while the other breakfast was in the works, but it was still tasty. At mom's, we added some whipped cream. Home made vanilla ice cream would have been amazing. The coconut flour batter tastes buttery and stays cakey, not gooey like some traditional cobblers I have had in the past.

I can't wait to get my house back to normal. It is still a few weeks away, but with cooler weather, I can get a little more done in the kitchen. When the new ceiling floors and wallpaper goes in, though, it will be impossible again. Until then, I will do what I can with what I have.



3 comments:

Serena said...

Looks great and I'm going to try it this afternoon.

Stephanie said...

We're just at the tail end of a big blizzard here (Nova Scotia, Canada) and I think this recipe looks like the perfect addition to a stormy Sunday dinner! Cant wait to try it!

Stephanie said...

Delicious!