companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cheesecake Dibs!!!


Oh my, I have hit the jackpot with this one. I knew a few weeks ago that I had created a real winner, but now I have all the tools assembled and the final product is awesome!

If you are a cheesecake lover, these are for you. If you miss your ice cream, try these frozen and they are to die for good. I remember as a little girl, I loved our occasional trips to Dairy Queen. I loved the Brown Derby cones--the ones where they would make a vanilla soft serve cone, then dip it in the magical liquid chocolate that made a cold, crunchy shell on the outside. I loved the contrast in textures between the chocolaty outside and the creamy smooth ice cream. I know I always made a mess, and tried to eat it all up before the slabs of chocolate started melting and sliding down my hand. Ah, the memories!

Well, these are just about the same thing, only in a Dibs size. I have to admit I don't know exactly what a Dibs is in culinary terms, other than a bite of ice cream dipped in chocolate and served as a frozen treat. These qualify there, but they are less messy.

Read on for my version. You will want to try these!


First issue is the pan. When this recipe was still stewing in my brain, I used my Michael's coupon to purchase this silicon pan. It makes the bites all the same size, and cooks them uniformly. Worth six dollars in my opinion. I know this will be a recipe I use often. Since these will be a fabulous summertime treat, the individual squares will bake faster too. If you don't have one of these, use mini muffin cups, or use a standard dish and then cut the cheesecake into squares. For the dipping, make sure you have some coconut oil. This is a must have item for the shell to set up really fast.

Cheesecake Dibs

16 ounces cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup powdered erythritol

**************
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup powdered erythritol (or to taste with any combination of sweeteners)

Bring cream cheese to room temperature. Beat cream cheese and eggs. Add in sour cream and sweetener. Poor into special baking mold or use mini muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees.

Remove from oven and let cool. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours. When ready to dip, first prepare chocolate coating. In a ceramic mug or small bowl, melt coconut oil and then stir in cocoa powder and sweetener. Remove the frozen cheesecakes from their pan. Using tongs, dip each frozen bite into melted chocolate mixture. Set on foil to firm up. Eat frozen for an ice creamlike treat, or eat chilled for a cheesecake treat. Either way is great! My tray makes two batches, or 48 dibs.


As with most chocolates, you may prefer a sweeter version. Feel free to add a bit more sweetener. I usually prefer a combination of sweeteners, but tried to get a standard starting point for most tastes. Just keep in mind that I am a dark chocolate devotee, so I am likely to prefer a less sweet dib.

These need to be kept chilled or the coconut oil will melt. You might be able to dip them in real chocolate, but then you wouldn't be getting the thin chocolate shell, and you lose the health benefits of coconut oil.

Tell you how good these are--John asked me three times if I was sure they were legal for low carbers. I had terrible lighting tonight. I may try again tomorrow to get a better photo for these little treasures.

This is one of the recipes included in my new cookbook project, Low Carbing Among Friends.
This recipe is available in the book, along with over 60 additional 24/7 Low Carb Diner recipes. By ordering the book, you get more than 300 favorite gluten free recipes from four other well known low carb cooking experts…Jennifer Eloff of Splendid Low Carbing cookbook fame, Kent Altena, the Atkins Diet Geek and You Tube star, nutritionist and author Maria Emmerich of Maria’s Nutritious and Delicious Journal, and popular blogger and food stylist, Carolyn Ketchum of All Day I Dream About Food. Unlike any other cookbook you may own, this one is a compilation of mini cookbooks featuring the talents of these well known low carbers. Think of it as a “best of” project.
Low Carbing Among Friends also features recipes from numerous other talented low carbing friends and recommendations from the medical community who recognize the health benefits of low carb, gluten free living. To preorder your copy, visit http://www.amongfriends.us The official release date is 11/11/11, so pre-order now for a discount.

23 comments:

Ginny said...

Oh my goodness Lisa! You certainly have hit the jackpot with my tastebuds!!! Ha ha. I will definitely be trying this! I don't have the pan, but will see if I can get one soon. Meanwhile, will have to settle for my muffin pans I guess. That looks so good!! Thanks!

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

WOW!! Hugs, Jen I covet pan, I think. ;)

Anonymous said...

WOW those look delish! Any idea on how many carbs each comes out too?

NutrishByLish said...

These look so amazing, I am definitely trying these!!

Giggles said...

Yum!! Can't wait to try it. After seeing this recipe I went out and bought that same silicone brownie pan. I don't have powdered erythritol. Can I use Splenda? What other recipes have you used this pan for?

Thanks

Lisa Marshall said...

Giggles--you can use any cheesecake recipe with whatever sweetener you have. I just got the pan myself, so I have not yet experimented too much. I am thinking it would also be good for coconut oil candies and black bean brownie bites.

Giggles said...

Hi Lisa,

Looking forward to more uses for that pan. It's the perfect bite size snack. I've never made a low carb cheesecake but I really want too now. I'll let you know what I come up with for the pan.

I've only ever used Splenda as a sweetener.

Can I use 1 cup Splenda when a recipe calls for 1 cup erythritol?

Thanks

Lisa Marshall said...

Giggles, Erythritol is not quite as sweet as Splenda, so you may want a little less. This cheesecake was not too sweet though, since the chocolate coating is sweeter. I think the ratio is erythritol at 70% as sweet as sugar.

Anonymous said...

This looks so good, I can't wait
to try them.
I have xylitol can I use this for
the erythritol.

Lisa Marshall said...

yes, xylitol will work fine too. You may need a`little less.

Anonymous said...

First, let me just say that I love your blog, Lisa. So many great ideas. Made these today in my mini muffin tin. Don't know what happened, but they stuck even though I sprayed the pan. No problem though. These are too delicious to waste, so I now have yummy cheesecake mini muffin tops and "chips". I drizzled the chocolate sauce over and everything is yummy and crunchy and creamy and cheesecakey. Defininely will be buying the silicone pan though, so mine will come out as lovely as yours next time. Thanks Lisa for a great recipe.

Unknown said...

These are fan.tas.tic. The next time I make them, I'll use my liquid sucralose. For some reason, the erythritol didn't completely melt in the coconut oil. But they're fabulous nonetheless!!!

Lisa Marshall said...

Jen-
I did not have a problem with the erythritol, but it may be because I heat up the coconut oil. In playing around with frozen yogurt recipes, I discovered that you can heat erythritol on the stove top to melt it into a simple syrup. That worked wonders--no grit.

Ginny said...

another thing that works for me with erythritol is to make it into powdered in my coffee grinder before I add it.

Unknown said...

Ooooo! I'll try making the simple syrup first. I tried liquid sucralose and it just didn't have the same texture and flavor as the first batch with erythritol (although it didn't stop them from being inhaled!!).

Giggles said...

Can you tell me the nutritional value per each square?
How many carbs per square?
Also if possible with and without chocolate coating.
I made them and they're great!!! But I didn't make the chocolate.
Yummy yummy

Lisa Marshall said...

These have 42 calories per dib, with half a carb each. That is with the coating. Without the coating, they have 22 calories each with a trace of carb.

Anonymous said...

These look awesome. Can you use a different oil other than coconut oil? My sister is allergic to coconut oil. I know...she is weird. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, can't wait to try these ! Just wondering where you found your pan that you used for the recipe ? Is it a mini brownie pan ? I use erythritol in my recipes, but, where would I find it in powdered form ? Thanks.

Unknown said...

what can I use instead of coconut oil?? (allergic)

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

MB said...

Do you spray the silicone pan or no? I sprayed mine and they stuck in there pretty good.

Lisa Marshall said...

I don't find that I need to spray when I use silicon. It might depend on the age and use of the pan. Spraying couldn't hurt.