companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Saint Pat's Shake


It is a tradition at our house. For years, I made these green breakfast shakes and told my then little guys that they were made from broccoli. I warned them that they would get nothing else to eat all day if they didn't drink their milkshake. After much fear and trepidation--for a few years anyway--they tried them. Of course, they were always vanilla with a bit a green food coloring added, but hey, it was fun. I can remember my oldest bragging to a friend that he liked broccoli milkshakes.

Well, sadly everyone is grown up now. I just can't lose that tradition, though, so I made one for my sweet hubby this morning. His shakes are always protein shakes and sugar free, of course. Christian doesn't like them much, so he had to fend for himself. I just used my standard shake recipe, but in case you don't know it, here it is, St. Patty's style.

Saint Pat's Shake

Into a blender, add:

4 ice cubes
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 ounce cream cheese
2 Tablespoons cream
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
DaVinci sweetener to taste (this morning I used English Toffee flavor)
5 drops green food coloring

Whirl it all up in the blender. Pour it into a shake glass and serve one.


So, tradition upheld. I tried to grow some cute little shamrocks in that tiny pot. I guess I should have started sooner. I definitely don't have a green thumb. Still deciding if I am going to attempt any squash or peppers again this year. Last year was so sad.

Our St. Patrick's Day dinner will not include corned beef this year. Not enough of us like it. Instead, I am making up several meatloaves. One for tonight and more for the freezer. We will be having oven roasted cabbage, though. Hopefully, that will make it feel like a holiday. Interestingly, my Humanities class is studying the Irish Potato Famine this week. I do plan on feeding Christian some potatoes tonight since it is almost always a potato famine around here. After that, he is outta luck!

1 comment:

Retta said...

Awww, what a sweet and nostalgic story about the Broccoli shake.
Loretta
=^..^=