companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pumpkin Coconut Muffins


Don't ya just love all the pumpkin recipes this time of year? The spices are so fragrant and delicious! I remember quite a few years back, I got together with friends to do holiday baking. That was so much fun. Maybe I should do that again with some of my low carb Diners who live around here...

I digress. One of the dishes we made back then was a wonderful apple coconut loaf. The coconut kept the loaves moist and flavorful. I wondered if a similar recipe with pumpkin would work. So, I went out and found a simple recipe for pumpkin muffins, and added a few changes to use what I have on hand. The original recipe is at Low Carb Luxury, here. My tweaks make a super moist muffin that isn't eggy at all. You can't really pick out the flavor of the coconut, but it does give the muffin a good texture.

Pumpkin Coconut Muffins

Blend together the dry ingredients:
2/3 cup vanilla protein powder
1/3 cup no sugar added shredded coconut
1 Tablespoon baking powder
dash salt
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup sweetener or equivalent

Blend together wet ingredients:
1 cup canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons coconut oil

Mix wet and dry ingredients. Spoon into sprayed muffin cups and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. (15 for mini-muffins, 20 plus for full sized muffins) Sprinkle nuts on top if desired. Makes 12 regular muffins or 24 mini muffins.


These are our muffins for the week, some to taste tonight, and more for two breakfasts and a dessert or snack.

It is prep day, so I am also making some BBQ Country Ribs for our Triple Play meal, and I made three entrees of Mediterranean Chicken. Updates later on how I manage to turn barbecued ribs into three different entrees. That might be a challenge, but the price was right! Right now, I am planning a Barbecue Pork Hash. We will be camping out over the weekend, so I am also planning some camp friendly foods. Neecee has me attempting to make low carb marshmallows, so stay tuned to see if I am able to pull off a low carb smore. I think I can do it, but will it be worth the trouble? Oh well, always up for a challenge!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I just made these with Stevia and they are awesome! Thank you for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

It would be most helpful if you would include nutritional content with your recipes.