companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Beef with Mushroom Gravy and Good Intentions


Just so happens that those among us who despise the mushroom are away at college. Despite having dissected one for biology class, my youngest still has the will to partake. Found a good price last week, so tonight's entree is Beef with Mushroom Gravy. I had every good intention to make a batch of Mega Meatballs tonight. The plan is to eat one meal, and freeze the rest in meal size portions. I think my brain must still be clogged with mucus, because I forgot to thaw the meat in time. The center was still too hard, so one night's meal is all I managed.

I do have a plan, however. I have a request for Cheeseburger Soup. Nope, never tried that before, but I love a challenge. I think I will use the rest of the ground chuck to come up with a recipe for that. I already have a secret ingredient in mind. So come back later and see what I came up with.

Until then, tonight's meal. John loved the gravy. I thought everything needed more salt, but then, I guess my cloggy nose got last night's meal a bit too salty for him, so I took it easy. I have always liked my food saltier than he does. The gravy is very light--not in calories as there is plenty of fat--but somehow it is fluffy. Must be the xanthan gum. I used the bullet blender and it got mixed in very well. That must do the trick. Very yummy stuff. If you are in a hurry, and don't have the ground beef ready, it would be fine to grill up some frozen patties on the George and serve the gravy on those.

Beef with Mushroom Gravy

2 pounds ground chuck
2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound sliced mushrooms
1/4 small onion, sliced
1 cup water
2 bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons cooking sherry
1/2 teaspoon marjoram or dried parsley
pinch of onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Mix ground beef with onion flakes and pepper. Form into 8 patties. Brown the meat in a skillet until almost, but not quite cooked through. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Pour off all but a few tablespoons of the beef fat. Add the mushroom and onion slices. Saute until just tender. While the vegetables are softening, combine one cup hot water, two bouillon cubes and the xanthan gum in a blender. Process until thickened. Pout this mixture over the mushrooms. Add sherry, herbs and onion powder. Heat until the alcohol has time to evaporate. Stir in heavy cream and blend well until heated through. Return the beef to the skillet until everything is serving temperature. This will serve 8 at about 4 carbs each, or a hungry man with two patties at 8 carbs.


I made some steamed broccoli for the side. We still had some Herbed Popovers left too, and they reheated very well in the toaster oven. I am really happy that these keep at least three days. That way, we can easily add a popover to another meal with absolutely no fuss.

My big boy called from college, and still needs more diabetics to take his survey, so if you happen to be a type two, or know a type two, please help him out. Here is the link again.

No comments: