companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, July 13, 2009

Pick-a-flavor Cookies


I remember reading the entry for KoolAid cookies on the Low Carb Friends forum last summer. It seemed like so many people had trouble with the recipe, I was too scared to try it. When it popped back up recently, I decided to go ahead and give these little cookies a try. The flavoring secret comes from the addition of a soft drink flavoring. Most people seemed to prefer lemonade, but all flavors will work.

I am fresh out of the tried and true Koolaid, but I do have some drink mixes for water bottles. All the posts said those would work as well. You may need to adjust the sweetener, as Splenda sweetened drink powders would add extra sweetness. Nutrasweet's flavor would bake out in the oven's heat. My recipe is assuming no added sweetness. The original recipe is on this thread, but there are six pages of tweaks and variations. So, it is probably easier to just do what I did!Thanks "CaliOkiegalfornow" for the fun recipe.

Pick-a-Flavor Cookies

1/3 cup protein powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons flax meal
1 tube water flavoring or 1/2 packet unsweetened Koolaid
1 Tablespoon ground nuts - I used pecan
1 egg
sweetener equivalent to 1 1/2 cups (use less if using sweetened drink mix)
1/4 cup coconut oil

Mix all ingredients well. Let dough chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Drop by 1/2 teaspoon onto parchment paper or silicon mat. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Makes 20-24 cookies.


Many people seemed to have some trouble with the dough spreading too much. This could be a variation of protein powders. Just in case, I would recommend using a cookie sheet with sides. Mine did spread quite a bit, but remained separate. The funniest thing was, they actually migrated to the sides of the pan. I used a Silpat baking sheet, and was so surprised to open the oven door to see perfect little cookies all congregating in little groups on the edges of the pan. I have never seen that before! As you can see by the photo, however friendly they behaved, they stayed nice little round cookies. I made them small, mostly due to success stories on the forum, but also because they will fit into my bento lunch that way! I hope they last that long.

My variation today used apple flavored drink mix. I also added about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. They are tart and spicy with a wonderful texture. I can't wait to try some more flavors. I will have to make a run to the store for some more vanilla protein powder, as this recipe finished off the canister.

I had an easy day in the kitchen today, thus the cookie experiment. For breakfast we had sausage and pre-made cheesecake muffins. I quickly threw together an Italian soup made with the last of the Turkey Red Sauce. That made a fine lunch. For dinner, we are having a Multiply Meal, Mexi-Burger Casserole. Glad for that since it is too hot to be long in the kitchen, and I have a school meeting tonight.

No comments: