companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, May 11, 2009

Dessert Shots - a new fad made Low Carb


These tiny desserts are all the rage in restaurants these days. And why not? Portion control is built right in. The price is right, and yet the decadent goodness is all there. When I saw these at Chili's, I knew I could duplicate them at home. Well, today, I found some inexpensive shot glasses at Old Time Pottery, so I took the plunge. The dessert I am starting with today was easy to put together, and everyone loved it. I even dragged out the boys' old baby spoons, which were perfect for our mini desserts. Expect to see more dessert shot recipes from me in the future. Oh, the possibilities...

Tonight's dessert used the Cheesecake Muffins I baked over the weekend. I crumbled one small muffin per dessert, and made a quick batch of whipped cream to help layer. For a pie crust taste, I used a mixture of almond flour and flax meal. So easy to be so impressive.

Cheesecake Dessert Shots


4 prebaked Cheesecake Muffins (See recipe in the Muffin Mania section of the e-book)

1/4 cup whipping cream or canned whipped cream

1/4 cup almond flour, mine was unblanched, but any would do fine

2 Tablespoons flax meal
1 Tablespoon Splenda

1 Tablespoon butter


Prepare nut mixture first. Combine almond flour, flax meal and Splenda. Mix butter in with a fork. Toast lightly in a skillet or toaster oven.


Add a small spoonful of nut mixture into the bottom of each shot glass. Top with crumbled cheesecake muffin, pressing down slightly with your finger or a small spoon. Add a layer of whipped cream. Alternate layers until the glass is full.
Serves 4


My husband just walked by saying, "Gee, those were so good, I could have eaten more." That is my point exactly, I say with a smile.

No comments: